Will shaving your face improve your skin? The pros and cons of dermaplaning
Does anyone else’s toes curl at the thought of shaving your face? We can’t think of anything worse! For years, we’ve been told that shaving leads to thicker, more unruly hair, so why would we ever shave our precious faces 😩? As it turns out, we were kinda wrong about the whole shaving thing… kinda. Dermaplaning has truly shaken the health and beauty industry due to its super simple skin exfoliating, hair shaving technique. Since trying it for ourselves we have become OBSESSED with dermaplaning and how it’s improved our skin.
What is dermaplaning?
While the idea of shaving your face sounds like a disastrously hairy situation, dermaplaning proves otherwise. A dermaplaning treatment involves a scalpel, or some sort of sharp blade, and your face. That’s it. It doesn’t sound particularly enticing yet, does it? But just hear us out. Dermaplaning is a completely safe, pain-free, not-so-hairy, hair removal, and facial exfoliation treatment that will leave your face feeling fresh, smooth and brighter. The treatment involves a scalpel gentling scraping off and exfoliating the top layers of your skin and fine vellus hairs to remove dead skin, peach fuzz, and reduce the appearance of any surface level blemishes you may have. A dermaplaning treatment is super quick, super effective, and super freaking amazing!
Unlike chemical peels and other invasive facial treatments, dermaplaning takes a fraction of the time, doesn’t require any additional face numbing or injections, and has your skin feeling and looking delicious immediately after your treatment. That’s right, you won’t need to go into hiding because of your post-treatment blotchy, raw skin. Winning!
What are the pros of dermaplaning?
The most obvious benefit to any sort of facial treatment is how your face looks and feels post-treatment. But hey, we love details, right? So, let’s get into the specifics of how incredible dermaplaning can be for your skincare routine:
· It’s fast, safe, and painless (some would even argue relaxing)
· It doesn’t involve any chemicals or requires the addition of injecting or applying foreign substances to your skin
· The instant removal of fine vellus hair on your face makes your skin feel smooth and silky
· The exfoliation component of the treatments removes dull, dead skin to reveal brighter, more youthful-looking skin
· The overall removal of skin and fine hairs works to remove and break down any build or, or barriers, on your skin, which allows your skincare products to work more effectively
· You’ll find your make up will sit smoothly on the skin, giving you an ‘airbrushed’ look – goals!
· You’ll find your self-confidence will drastically increase because your skin looks like it has been gifted to you by the Gods ✨
What are the cons of dermaplaning?
While there aren’t necessarily cons to dermaplaning, there are risk and cons of a bad dermaplaning treatment:
· Unqualified or inexperienced therapists may be at risk of scarring or damaging your skin. A therapist who may not know how to properly execute the treatment may puncture or injure your skin
· Dermaplaning is mostly available to everyone, but it can’t be used by anyone. If you have sensitive skin, fake tan, sunburn, active acne, a rosacea breakout, or any sort of inflammatory skin condition like eczema or psoriasis, dermaplaning is not recommended for your skin
Solution: Always go to a reputable salon, or spa, and consult with your beauty therapist prior to your treatment! Our staff at Eye Envy Co have years of experience and have been personally selected because of their known skills and expertise!
If you’re looking for a facial treatment that not only exfoliates your skin but leaves it looking and feeling smooth, dermaplaning is going to quickly become your fave skincare treatment. Not only is it a completely natural procedure, but it doesn’t need any downtime and gives you INSTANT results. We are all for it at Eye Envy Co 🙌🏽